- Learn about farming practices in your area.
- Find out about the organisation and daily and seasonal operations of a farm of your choice. Make a note of practices relating to livestock, crops, cultivation, rotation, machinery and labour force.
- Talk about the changes in farming practices that have taken place recently in your area. Explain the reasons for these.
- Cultivate an area of garden or an allotment for a length of time. Agree this beforehand with your leadership team.
- Show you’re successful in growing:
- three kinds of hardy annual flower
- three kinds of vegetable
- two kinds of bulbs, herbaceous plants, flowering shrubs or roses.
- Talk to your leader about the work you’ve done and the results you achieved.
- look after farm animals or birds, and learn how they should be housed, fed, bred and their economic uses. Show how to handle them safely and learn about animal welfare.
- Manage a hive. Bring in some of the honey you produced.